Manage all aspects of health care and disease control for the animals owned by Wayside Waifs. Primary functions include performing spay/neuter surgeries on Wayside Waifs animals, specialty surgeries occasionally, providing medical assessments, and treatments to improve and ensure the health of sheltered animals. Engage in a high level of communication with the Vice President of Veterinary Services and other team members. Collaborate with other departments to provide training experience for staff and volunteers. Mentor and educate veterinary students that rotate through 2 week externships in the veterinary clinic.
1. Provide veterinary medical care at Wayside Waifs: Perform spay/neuter surgery and other medical procedures as needed to restore the health of animals. Perform health assessments on animals and treat as necessary. Perform emergency veterinary care as needed for animals entering or residing at the shelter. Examine animals on intake. Perform euthanasia of animals in the care of Wayside Waifs and animals owned by the public for Pet Memorial Services.
2. Work with public/staff/volunteers: Counsel and advise adopters with questions or concerns, and provide treatment for recently adopted animals. Help staff achieve a better understanding of the medical needs of shelter animals. Educate staff and volunteers to increase their knowledge of disease recognition and prevention. Assist with media and PR upon request of the Communications and Annual Giving Manager.
3. Relationships: Promote positive, collaborative relationships between the Veterinary Clinic and other Wayside Waifs departments and functions. Contribute to the success of Wayside Waifs as a whole. Working with the Vice President of Veterinary Services, identify, develop and pursue business opportunities that support and/or improve outcomes for other Wayside Waifs departments and services. Work with the Vice President of Veterinary Services and clinic staff to develop and implement program goals, objectives and outcome measurements that are consistent with the long-term strategic plan of the shelter. Coach and mentor clinic staff and veterinary externs.
4. Compliance and Accreditation: Must be licensed to practice veterinary medicine in the state of Missouri. Current federal DEA license preferred. Ensure compliance with all regulatory, safety, security and operational standards related to animal care and the practice of veterinary medicine. Ensure all services performed at Wayside Waifs meet or exceed all regulatory and/or professional standards, as well as being performed consistently with client expectations.
5. Stewardship: Act as a steward of the organization’s resources. Insure that all of Wayside Waifs’ resources are utilized properly, legally & ethically. All expenditures for equipment, testing and treatment will be approved by the Vice President of Veterinary Services. Uphold the mission, values, and principles of the organization at all times. Ensure all business endeavors and relationships, as well as the individual performance of each Wayside Waifs associate, are consistent with the organization’s mission, values, policies and goals.
Licensed Missouri Veterinarian. Experience with companion animals preferred. Excellent written and verbal communication skills, good problem solving skills. Ability to work in a team environment, and with people in a variety of high-stress, and emotional situations. A passion for the Mission of Wayside Waifs. Must have excellent communication skills. Ability to balance routine surgery, other medical care, and emergent medical needs.
DVM degree required. Must be willing to learn new procedures and attend trainings as needed.
Must be able to lift 50lbs to waist-height. Repetitive bending, kneeling, stooping and similar movements are also required. Must be able to physically restrain dogs weighing up to and including 100lbs. Employee is exposed to wet and/or humid conditions and outside weather conditions. Significant amount of standing during a typical day, exposure to fumes, animal smells or airborne particles. The noise level is moderate to high. Will be working with and exposed to a variety of animals and animal waste.
Additional Salary Information: Salary is negotiable based on experience level.
Wayside Waifs is a non-profit humane society and charitable animal shelter whose purpose is to place adoptable companion animals in responsible homes.
Wayside Waifs opened the doors of a newly expanded and renovated shelter veterinary clinic. The 47,000 square foot building can shelter up to 800 animals. In 2011, Wayside cared for more than 6,500 abandoned, abused and homeless pets. Wayside... Waifs is a comprehensive animal welfare organization providing: animal rescue, shelter veterinary care, retail pet boutique, pet adoptions, off-leash dog park, humane education programs for more than 30,000 school children each year, volunteer opportunities, secure pet care for local domestic violence shelters and pet memorial services and cemetery.